Monday, June 2, 2008

radish salad, salsa survey, & random question

ok so i'm feeling nick's foray into the everyday meals terrain. mine, however, have been abominable lately, i'm talking raisin bran for dinner. but i can say that for a few days i was on this spring radish salad kick - i think i mentioned it earlier - endive, radishes, cilantro, and feta. an unlikely combination, but it works.


breakfast: scrambled eggs and cheddar on a bagel. coffee. water.

lunch: uno taco de pollo, uno de bistec - from monte alban, obvs. i hit that spot up at least once a week. agua.

dinner: this is where the descent begins. umm... a yogurt... some olives... a bowl of black beans (see below) and some tortilla chips.

now about the salsa. i posted this question in a comment and then it occurred to me that i should take advantage of our technological power to convene a virtual group and ask *everyone.* plus, there are few more important topics than salsa, no? so, what is everyone's salsa stilo? red or green, thick or thin, homemade or store-bought, chipotles or jalapenos? summer's just about to blow in the window so let's get it rolling ... here's my contribution.

and finally, a random question: how long can you store cooked (leftover) black beans?

p.s. the long-awaited INTRODUCTIONS are coming soon ... so, as pan would say, stay tune!

6 comments:

DJ said...

i'm a jalapeno guy i think. homemade for sure, though i'm still trying to perfect a recipe. my roommate likes his super spicy (way too much for me) because his taste buds are burned out from eating lots of mexican food growing up. his flavors are good (both tomatillos and tomatoes), but i like mine a little thicker than he makes it. i'll give you my recipe when i make one i really like.

V said...

i'm not too experienced in the salsa-making category, but homemade is definitely the way to go (it's fun and it tastes wayyy better). i like chipotle but i'm not opposed to jalapeno... the recipe i put in my last post was phenomenal (and gave my breakfasts a nice little kick for the next two days).

Nick said...

I recently discovered French feta by Valbreso and found that I liked it a lot. It's creamier and less salty then traditional Greek feta. Check it out next time you're at the market.

If you're gonna buy store-bought salsa, I've had good experiences with Desert Pepper Trading Co., particularly their Raspberry-Chipotle. They have tons of flavors though to try, and inspire you to make your own!: http://www.gourmettrading.com/desert_pepper/index.html

H said...

Desert Pepper is reeeeeaallly good. I like their Peach Mango version and generally like salsas that include fruit, but they have to have a good kick--a GOOD kick. It pisses me off that a lot of jarred salsas that say Hot are very mild. Green Mountain is good too. I tried once to make my own peach salsa but it did not turn out very well--I think because the peaches were no good. Salsa in authentic Mexican restaurants tend to be excellent; my favorite hole in the wall in Morningside Heights offers three to go with their amazing homemade tortilla chips--a pale, puce green one with seeds, a muddy red one, and a brighter green one with chunks of avocado and cilantro. Can anyone guess what they are exactly? They range slightly in hotness, but are all pretty spicy, and delicious.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I don't like Desert Pepper! That was the straw that broke the camel's back of my exasperation with store-bought salsa, actually. After trying Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, La Mexicana (from stop & shop) and Desert Pepper, I just swore off store-bought salsa altogether. The restaurant near my house, Monte Alban, actually makes some decent salsas. The bottom line is that homemade always trumps; I just need a good recipe (or three). I will say thought that the Desert Pepper salsa verde (Del Rio) is edible (but far from amazing).

Nick said...

Word. Right now tomatoes aren't yet in season in CT, so the only way to really make a bangin' salsa is to roast your tomatoes to concentrate the sugars so that they don't taste like sytrofoam.