Saturday, June 21, 2008

Meatloaf

So out of the blue the other week my father asked me to make him meatloaf for Father's Day. However, I had to wait until this weekend to do the dish due to an avalanche of schoolwork. All in all, I was really pleased with the results. I based this dish on Shea Gallante's meatloaf but changed a few things and ground my own meat.

The end result was red wine-glazed meatloaf w/ farro and asparagus. Ingredients used: lamb, beef chuck, Niman Ranch bacon (Brie, Whole Foods didn't have slab bacon nor fiddleheads!), garlic, mire poix, Malbec, raw parmesan, parsley, sage, thyme, s + p, allspice, nutmeg, molasses, sugar, worcestershire sauce, eggs, milk, bread, breadcrumbs, tomatoes, asparagus, farro, and chicken stock.















Mis en place

&















Plating

I was really happy with the strong flavor combination of lamb, chuck, and bacon. I brushed the loaf with some reduced wine, sugar, molasses, tomatoes and allspice under a broiler to form a nice glaze. I cooked the farro with some left over bacon, veggies, and chicken stock and will be feasting on that for a while. I love farro's nuttiness and texture. For the asparagus, I just blanched it, sauteed it with butter, s + p, and lemon juice and finished it with some raw parm.

We drank some nice Malbec with the dish and ate outdoors. I love working with such ordinary, unpretentious dishes. People already have a solid reference point for them and it's easier to make an impact with the contrast in quality that way. I was stoked!

Happy eating, friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, congratulations Nick! It sounds delicious!! What a lovely father's day gift :) I just had farro for the first time - at Boka, actually - and it was quite good. Def will be trying that at home. You also score major points for owning a meat grinder - no joke.

H said...

Wow that made me salivate. Totally agree with you about unpretentious dishes--one of the best meals I've ever had was at Chez Panisse Cafe (shocker) and it was simply: green salad with vinaigrette, spaghetti with meatballs, and vanilla ice cream with fresh berries.

Nick said...

H, you definitely know the deal! : )