Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Spanish Harlem is the New East Village

For breakfast yesterday I had my staple Oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar -- although Dunhill raised the price from $2.75 to $3.0o. You think this will help? OK, maybe a bit anachronistic.

For lunch I had a sandwich with cured ham, french gruyere, and mornay sauce on sourdough. My officemate and I split our desserts so half of a creamcheese brownie and half of a huge, honey-covered baklava.

For dinner I ate at this awesome little Franco-Mexican spot called Itzocan Bistro on 101st and Lex. I had Crepes with wild mushrooms, huitlacoche, brie cheese and truffle oil. Magnificent.

Morning meetings are the worst. I missed breakfast this morning and all I had was watered down White & Case-provided-so-I-can't-complain-coffee. Around 11AM hit up my new little lunchtime hotspot, Dishes, and got a duck confit sandwich with french brie, arugula, harissa aioli ('member I told you 'bout harissa last week!), port fig spread on toasted ciabatta. Arborio rice pudding for dizert. Although my job is whacksauce, I'm gonna miss eating like this...

3 comments:

Nene said...

Ha!!! A hundred and one points for posting that Newsies clip. You're already talking about "I'm gonna miss eating like this..." ?? Those meals sound amazing. Now we need pictures!!

H said...

HAHA nene beat me to the comment. NEWSIES--good work.

H said...

P.S. Learn to cook like that for yourself, then you never have to miss it.

Also, speaking of Newsies, I have been remarking for months now that John McCain reminds me of someone: Snyder, the villain from the Newsies, the guy trying to get Christian Bale aka Cowboy aka Jack Kelly aka Francis Sullivan back into juvy EVEN THOUGH Teddy Roosevelt let him out. McCain and Snyder could be bros--revisit the film and tell me you disagree.

And finally: Spanish Harlem is no longer Spanish Harlem if you are eating meals like that up there. One word: gentrification.