Friday, October 3, 2008

Food of the Week: Lamb Merguez


... North African food in general is what's up these days. Mad love and thanks go out to H who put me up on cAfe (108th and Columbus); a small unassuming French-Carribbean byob spot on the UWS. Your boy got exactly the opposite of what I would imagine D would order: pheasant pate with fennel, white truffle oil, cognac, and topped with melted brie. Then I got the lamb merguez with harissa, dried figs, and dates in a coconut sauce. Phenomenal.

Then last night I did some roomie bonding and ate at Le Souk in the one place being gentrified faster than Harlem: Alphabet City. It's a Morrocan place that my roommate basically chose because the hostesses were hot (I hung my head in shame; they were hot, though). His lamb was a bit bland but my couscous paella was Foxy Brown aka the ill-na-na. It had mussels, shrimp, spicy merguez and chicken in a bed of Israeli couscous (if you're not already, get up on that Israeli couscous). There was also a black olive spread with harissa in it to go with the bread. Shit was lovely. A forewarning may be in order though: It's gonna be bread and water for the next two weeks.

FYI: Artist of the week is Chuck Hamilton and his new dope track Brazilian Crying Season. As a matter of fact, this whole blog should be favorited.

2 comments:

DJ said...

haha nice dude! by the way, i never critized you for spending money (or wearing white shoes)...i criticized you for spending money on over-priced, under-tasty bagels from street vendors. in any event, i will post soon. keep forgetting to upload food pics.

H said...

I'm so glad you liked cAfe (formerly known as just A, after the subway line)! LOVE the pheasant pate and they used to do a roasted boar pate which might have been even better. They make fantastic rabbit sausage, too--they've got a game-theme going on, now that I think about it. Never been to Le Souk, but someone in Brazil, actually, told me I should go. Didn't realize they had food--this guy was hyping it as a club.