Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pressed, dripped, or percolated?

Breakfast: drip coffee, croissant.

Lunch: Turkey sandwich, Salt and Vinegar Kettle Chips (booooring - this is what I buy from across the street when i forget my lunch in the fridge at home and feel too cheap to buy something more expensive)

Dinner: Cuban fricase de pollo (Inspired by my trip to the Carribbean. It has a bit of citrus in it as well as a few other unlikely ingredients, but when push comes to shove I think I prefer the French version.) white rice (yes, V, WHITE rice).

Side note: How do you all drink your coffee? i.e. what type of roast, method of brewing, add-ins, etc. I wish I could be swayed more by nene's tea confessionals - don't get me wrong, I keep a stash of PG tips at the office for those rainy afternoons - but that Pete's medium roast drip is too tempting to pass up sometimes!

6 comments:

Clara said...

I am absolutely addicted to drip coffee. My favorite blend at the moment is 50/50 split Ethiopian Harrar and Paupa New Guinea...the taste isn't even coffee-like, more akin to blueberries. Insane.

H said...

I like brown rice, I really do, but white just tastes so GOOD. And it can't be bad for you if all those billions of Asians are eating it every day.... Portion control.

V said...

cats are talking about drip brew like it's something new... ain't that what you grew up on? do you have those drip machines at work?

DJ said...

I think the difference is in the strength and flavor of the drip when you brew a single cup (vs. a whole pot, or a machine-dripped pot). We have really good coffee at work, so I make my own single-cup drip and use hella grounds! At home, I usually drink espresso, though sometimes I go with the french press.

Hannah: I've reasoned the same thing about Asians and white rice. Strange that two minds could have that same thought...

Blueberries?

Anonymous said...

Wait, I'm confused - what exactly is the drip brew you're talking about? Not a machine? And D, do you have an espresso machine at home or do you use a little Bialetti stove top? And Clara, have you been taking coffee-tasting classes?

DJ said...

Coffee tasting? That sounds awesome!

Nene (love calling you that): I think drip coffee describes any brew created by letting gravity push hot water through the grounds, through a filter, and into a pot below. Sometimes machines heat up the water, then shoot it - pretty rapidly, usually - through a spout into the filter. My experience is that these machines produce a coffee that can taste a little funny: the water can taste stale if the source hasn't been cleaned in a while. Alternatively, you can just pour hot water from a kettle over the filter and let the water collect in a pot. To me, this usually tastes cleaner.

I have both an espresso machine and a Moka stove-top(equivalent to the Bialetti).