Sunday, February 8, 2009

Where are all my peeps?

This is becoming a one-woman show, peeps! Now, I know I'm fascinating (said in the Gary Oldman-as-Drexel voice if you catch me) but I ain't that fascinating! Variety is the spice of life, in food and in food blogging. I know we're all busy, but for the sake of keeping this thing alive (and because I amuse myself, if only myself) here's what I ate this weekend:

Friday night
dinner: tacos (corn tortillas) filled with caramelized onions, wilted spinach and goat cheese, smothered in A's delicious fire roasted salsa. Shazam!

Saturday
breakfast: bacon, egg and cheese on a toasted everything bagel and coffee. The everything bagel may arguably be "boyfriend repellant" (depends on the boyfriend, I guess) but it sure is tasty! And we all know I don't resist tasty. It was so tasty, in fact, that I took a couple home with me, along with a container of vegetable cream cheese and a hot chocolate chip bagel that got eaten before we even walked out the door.

lunch: this delicious broccoli and potato soup from the New York Times. They've got some gems in their soup repetoire, I'll report back as I try more of them. The parmesan croutons add textural interest and a rich saltiness - you can't go wrong.

dinner: Attended a vegetarian potluck. Brought bbq pizza with mushrooms (not my idea, and initially I scoffed at it but I learned my lesson - it was damn good!). Ate tons of awesome food, can't remember all of it. Standouts included quesadillas with guacamole, soy-marinated tofu and fried rice, homemade hummus with garlic pita bread, and butternut squash soup.

Today:
breakfast: half an everything bagel (from stash acquired yesterday), plain cream cheese, and coffee.

lunch: this is kind of embarassing, but I ate another bagel for lunch. What can I say? I like bagels. My first real job was at a Bruegger's Bagels and it was no accident. I think back on it as my halcyon days. I was free to try all sorts of seemingly perverse combinations like everything bagels with honey walnut cream cheese and poppy-salt bagels with every different kind of cream cheese. They are quick, filling (for a few minutes, anyway) and delicious, and I was running out the door. So it was a sesame bagel toasted with vegetable cream cheese. To save face, I ate a blood orange (I'm trying for one piece of fruit per day) and washed it all down with some hot peach tea (my favorite - oops, just kidding - Earl Grey is my favorite, see previous posts!)

dinner: what did I eat for dinner? hmmm... oh yeah, I remember, sorry but I'm emerging from the fog of dessert. Dinner was some of A's delicious green salsa (he is a salsa machine and I love it!), more broccoli potato soup, and some potato and pea samosas with coriander and mango chutney.

The dessert that did me in for the night was David Lebovitz's sticky toffee pudding, a recipe I have been absolutely drooling over for the past couple of weeks (weeks! just look at the pictures!) Usually once I find a recipe this swoon-worthy, I don't wait weeks. I do everything in my power to produce it in my kitchen as soon as humanly possible. Sometimes I think of myself as a machine. For some reason, I kept getting waylaid on this one and maybe it was for the best - someone should have warned me that I would need not only a couple hours to make it, but several more to recover from eating it. It was amazingly delicious, but my blood sugar HATED me afterwards. I doused it in toffee sauce (think of me & syrup, you get the idea), topped it with whipped cream, and devoured it. Any time any of y'all want to come over, just say the word and I'll whip it up. Then we'll have to talk to each other as we lie prostrate on the floor, but it will be worth it.

On a side note, if anyone's made toffee (not the hard kind, but the warm sticky kind as shown in the pictures) perhaps they can tell me what the trick is to getting it all thick and sticky. Mine never thickened to the consistency that it should have. It tasted like toffee and it worked fine with the cake, but I want to know what I did wrong. I'm thinking it may have been the sugar I used. Next time I'll try with true brown sugar (I used turbinado) and see if that does it. Maybe I'll add some butter. Hah.

Buona notte!

1 comment:

H said...

I'm still here, Nene! Been crazy busy but I'm going to post soon, don't fret. Would love to lie prostrate with you on the floor, though I'm not sure how I feel about toffee....